In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
- Apply the process of systems thinking
You are an employee at a consulting firm that assists other businesses in solving systems problems within their organizations. Ann Jemisin, president of Lost Pines Outfitters, a local and online clothing retailer, has asked for your assistance. During the intake process, she sends information on her company, their processes, and the issues they would like you to remedy. Your supervisor has asked you to create an analysis of the existing systems in Anne’s business. Your analysis is an initial appraisal of the situation at Lost Pines Outfitters, making preliminary recommendations to address the issues identified by your client. As you write your analysis, focus on the application of systems thinking processes and best practices to the scenario and the identified issues.
Lost Pines Outfitters has provided you with a specifications document describing the current processes in place in their business, and the issues they would like to address through the application of systems thinking processes. Using this information, create an analysis that addresses the following requirements:
- Description: Before you make recommendations to fix the system, you must first describe the system in its current state. In your analysis, identify the parts of the current system, and consider the main nodes of the system and the high-level processes and components in place at Lost Pines Outfitters. Once you have identified the parts of the system, describe the interactions and relationships between parts of the system and identify and describe the feedback loops in the system.
- Recommendations: Once you have described the current system, examine the problems offered by the client. Using systems thinking principles, pose recommendations to existing systems based on client needs and systems thinking best practices. In your recommendation, consider both the interactions and relationships between parts of the system, as well as the feedback loops present. Then, describe the potential impact of changes to the system. In your recommendations and description, focus on the application of systems thinking concepts and best practices to the identified problems.
- Modeling: Following your analysis and recommendation, construct a model of a system including recommended changes. This model should represent your recommended changes and include parts, interactions, relationships, and feedback loops for your recommended changes.
- Conclusion: In the conclusion of your analysis, describe the benefits of systems thinking within a business environment. In this description, demonstrate how the application of systems thinking allowed you to analyze the problems and equipped you to solve the identified issues.
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
Generate a report that analyzes the current systems in place at Lost Pines Outfitters and recommends changes to these systems/processes in line with client requests. This report should include initial recommendations for process and technology improvements focused on enhancing the client’s systems. Additionally, the report should contain a visualization modeling the recommended system for the client.
Your report should be 900–1,250 words and contain at least one system visualization created using Microsoft Visio.
The following resource(s) may help support your work on the project:
Scenario Information: Client Specifications – Lost Pines Outfitters
You have been provided with information on Lost Pines Outfitters, including their current processes.